Monday, May 12, 2014

Announcing the MGM Blogathon!

Get Ready to Roar!  

( Update : for a complete list of participants click here! )

In honor of the 90th anniversary of the founding of the greatest film studio of all time, the granddaddy of them all, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Silver Scenes will be hosting an MGM Blogathon from June 26-28th, 2014, right smack In the Good ol' Summertime. 

It will be a three day event celebrating the great stars, character actors, films, and behind-the-scenes personnel from the golden age of MGM : 1925-1959. Between these years when Leo the Lion heralded a film, audiences knew they were in for a treat. 

From the fledgling days of MGM, through the wonder years of Irving Thalberg, on up until the collapse of the studio system in the late 1950s, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer made their mark in the film industry with quality productions, a galaxy of stars covering all ages, and publicity campaigns that were like no other. Poignant romances ( Waterloo Bridge, Camille ), ambitious spectacles ( Marie Antionette, The Good Earth ), and entertaining musicals ( Rose Marie, Million Dollar Mermaid ) shot out of the studio at lightning speed and set the mark for other studios to follow. 

As has often been noted, MGM never made a "B" film. There were secondary flicks such as The Thin Man or Calling Dr. Kildare, but no matter how low the budget, all films proudly bore the MGM stamp of excellence. 

A 90th anniversary deserves a whale of a good celebration and what better way to celebrate then through the written word.



The MGM blogathon will take place during that Strange Interlude between the start of summer and the Fourth of July : June 26-28th. You can submit as many posts as you'd like and, just to spice things up a bit, we're going to select the best written post as The Champ, the Topper of them all, and award the blogger with an original Mickey Rooney photo from the Silverbanks Pictures Archives

Note : Only posts submitted between June 26-28th will be eligible for the award.

Are there any rules to this blogathon? Heck no! Listen Darling, you can write about any topic you want just so long as it has to do with MGM. If you want to write about an experience/memory watching an MGM film that is alright too. But since it's going to be a Big Parade and we'd like cut down on the Greed we have this one request to make : no two participants can write about the same film or star. Make your choices quickly then, for when a topic is gone, it's Gone with the Wind.



Why, we're so generous with the rules that if you want to join in on the fun AFTER the blogathon ends, you're welcome! If Winter Comes and we're still getting submissions we'll be happy. There are no Forbidden Hours nor forbidden bloggers. All are welcome...the Bad and the Beautiful, Freaks, and even Laughing Sinners. No Invitation is needed, no topic is Too Hot to Handle and there are No Questions Asked ( but all will be answered ). We want to create a spot for classic film fans to find great posts on their favorite MGM films, all in one place. The celebration will be lasting all year long! 

If you want to join in on the fun :  just click on the comment box below and leave your name, blog site and the topic you would like to write about. You can also email us at silverbankspictures at gmail ( you know the rest ). 

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer produced some of the greatest films in cinema's history; featured more stars than there were in the heavens; and had some of the most talented directors, producers, screenwriters, and technicians the world has ever known....but just in case you can't think of any ideas at the moment, here are some suggestions :

Stars : Greta Garbo, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Kelly, Judy Garland, Van Johnson, Frank Sinatra, Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, Lana Turner, Norma Shearer, John Gilbert, Mickey Rooney, Deborah Kerr, Ava Gardner, Robert Taylor, Jane Powell, John Barrymore, Lon Chaney, Spencer Tracy, Fred Astaire, Myrna Loy, William Powell, Jean Harlow, Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy.



Films : The Women, Gigi, Ben-Hur, Singin' in the Rain, When Ladies Meet, A Date with Judy, Mogambo, Mrs. Miniver, Elephant Walk, National Velvet, State of the Union, The Three Musketeers, Daddy Long Legs, An American in Paris, Chained, Dinner at Eight, Manhattan Melodrama, Queen Christina, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Grand Hotel, He Who Gets Slapped, Naughty Marietta, Waterloo Bridge, Camille, The Good Earth.


Series : Andy Hardy, Tarzan, Maisie, The Thin Man, The Little Rascals, The Fast Series, Dr. Kildare, Tom and Jerry, Lassie.

Behind-the-Scenes : Louis B. Mayer, Irving Thalberg, Douglas Shearer, William Tuttle, Cedric Gibbons, Helen Rose, Dorothy Jeakins, James Wong Howe, Natalie Kalmus, Victor Fleming, Clarence Brown, Busby Berkeley, George Cukor, Arthur Hornblow Jr., Irving Berlin.
  _______________________________________

Now that you've heard the Good News, it's time to Get Happy and join The Band Wagon! Beg, Borrow, and Steal an idea if you have to ( although we don't recommend stealing Personal Property  ) but let's celebrate this monumental occasion*, this Shining Hour, in style! 

Stay tuned for posts throughout the coming month - and throughout the year - celebrating the history of this grand studio. Banners are available below, so please post them on your site and help promote this roaring good event! 

* On a side note, another fantastic film studio - Columbia Pictures - is celebrating it's 90th anniversary this year as well. 

BANNERS : 





70 comments:

  1. I'm in. Gimme a little while to decide on a topic.
    http://widescreenworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooohhhh!! I've actually been watching through all the musicals from "That's Entertainment," though I'm not sure if I'll be able to track them all down by June, so I won't take that away from someone else. May I select Gene Kelly for myself? Thanks!

    Emily - TheVintageCameo.com

    (The banners are wonderful, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's quite an undertaking, I never even thought about doing that. Sounds like fun! Great selection with Gene Kelly. What an actor...and what a maaaaan. ;-) Thanks for the compliment, we're glad you like the banners!

      Delete
  3. Hi, girls! I'd like to write abou Garbo, Gilbert and MGM.
    I loved how you presented the blogathon, with a text full of films' titles as puns!
    Kisses!
    Le from Critica Retro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super! John Gilbert is overlooked these days, even amongst us classic film bloggers. We're glad you chose to spotlight him and Garbo. They were a great team. And you noticed our puns! :-)

      Delete
  4. I love this idea! I'd really like to write about Cedric Gibbons, please as I've been doing some research into set design recently. Can't wait! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot diggity! I was hoping someone would pick Cedric Gibbons, I'm so glad you chose him. I don't know what MGM films would be like if it were not for Gibbons influence. Did your research in set design uncover that other marvelous talent, Lyle Wheeler? He was art director at 20th Century Fox and did hundreds of great sets for some of the studios best films. We wrote a post about him over at TCM some years ago, if you want to check it out ( click on the TCM logo on the right-hand column ).

      Delete
  5. Hi, this is Dan from the Hitless Wonder Movie Blog (http://dandayjr35.blogspot.com). I would like to write about MGM's 1944 version of "Gaslight".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yours Dan! So glad to have you join the event .

      Delete
  6. hi! put me down for The Beast of the City 1932. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry I forgot my avi doesn't link to my blog, which is http://hqofk.wordpress.com/
      thanks!

      Delete
    2. Great choice...I never even heard of that film! Glad to see an oldie-but-goodie among the list.

      Delete
  7. Hey, great idea for a blogathon! Sign me up, I'll review a classic sci-fi movie: The Forbidden Planet.
    Marta @ http://ramblingsofacinephile.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you join the blogathon Marta, but sorry! Forbidden Planet has been claimed already. You could write about MGM's sci-fi films in general or pick any other topic of your choice. We're trying to veer away from duplicates just because there are so many films/stars/crew/themes to write about and we'd like to see all ground covered. Let us know what you decide!

      Delete
    2. ah too bad! Well, I can write about The Asphalt Jungle or Somebody Up There Likes Me or Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, let me know which one you prefer.

      Delete
    3. All of those titles available, and they all sound great to us!

      Delete
    4. I'll do The Asphalt Jungle then, thanks.

      Delete
  8. I'd like to write about Katharine Hepburn's relationship with Louis B. Mayer, if I may - this is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I didn't know they had one. ;-) It's yours Margaret!

      Delete
  9. Roar! I'd like to do a piece on 1936s "Three Godfathers".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you're not doing this for the John Ford blogathon ( but secretly, I'm glad you're willing to write about it for our event instead. MGM deserves great tribute posts ).

      Delete
  10. Hi there! I would like to write about Zander the Great, the very first movie Marion Davies made in partnership with MGM, if that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, sounds great! We were hoping a Marion Davies film would be highlighted. Thanks for joining Fritzi!

      Delete
  11. May I write about Adrian and Joan Crawford?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got back from Los Angeles (looks like I'll be moving there sometime this summer!) and since my blog is Carole & Co., my entry will primarily focus on "The Gay Bride" (1934), Lombard's lone film for MGM, as well as her relationship with the studio while engaged and then married to Clark Gable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heading to the land of the stars? Oh wow! Just be sure you stock up on water this summer. We love your choice, I would have certainly thought that Lombard made more films at MGM.

      Delete
  13. Howdy! This is Minoo From Classic Movie Hub and I would love to participate in this blogathon. May I write about the film The Band Wagon?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! I swoon and sway just thinking of MGM - I'd like to contribute something on MGM during the depression. Been wanting to for a while and now you've given me the opportunity. Let me know if that works. If possible, put me down for the 28th.

    GREAT idea!

    Aurora
    @CitizenScreen
    Once Upon a Screen (aurorasginjoint.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're very happy to put you down on the list. It's good to see MGM's early days being covered. :-)

      Delete
  15. Hi! Could I have dibs on THE HUMAN COMEDY? (mildredsfatburgers.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic choice. I love that movie. You're on the list!

      Delete
  16. Hi there! This a wonderful idea for a blogathon—with such an exciting milestone to celebrate! I'd like to write about Lon Chaney at MGM, probably with an emphasis on "He Who Gets Slapped," if nobody's claimed that topic yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I'm quite excited scrolling through all these diverse topics that everyone's chosen - can't wait to read everything. This is such a fun topic!

    I'd like to write about Marsha Hunt, who was an MGM contract player from 1939-1945. I'm supposed to be speaking with her in a few days about her MGM days, if all goes as planned :)

    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy, we just love Marsha Hunt! She is such a forgotten talent these days. Can't wait to read your post on her ( if all goes as planned, like you said ).

      Delete
  18. Just gave your blogathon a plug at Carole & Co.: http://carole-and-co.livejournal.com/696705.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, Metzingers - I have read your comment at Thrilling Days of Yesteryear, and I'm in...I'll tackle the Tarzan series.

    Ivan
    TDOY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you aboard Ivan...that's a mighty big series to tackle but we're sure you'll cover it in all of its chest-pounding glory.

      Delete
  20. Hello! I'm wondering if I can do "The Big Country" on June 29 if it's not already spoken for? I'm Ruth at Silver Screenings http://silverscreenings.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I was just asking my sister, "Did MGM ever make a decent western?". You just answered my question. I adore The Big Country and can't wait to read what you have to say about it.

      Delete
    2. Drat. It is not an MGM picture. My DVD has the MGM logo on it, and I just made an assumption. Doh!

      May I go with Public Hero #1 (1935) instead?

      Delete
    3. That's a new one to us! We're looking forward to reading about it ( and then watching it )!

      Delete
  21. May I take the Marx Bros. classic, "NIGHT AT THE OPERA" (1935)? Thanks, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great choice, I didn't realize that this film was an MGM picture. Golly!

      Delete
    2. Ah shoot. I meant to say "A DAY AT THE RACES"- a MGM Marx Bros flick too. Is that ok?

      Delete
  22. Hey kids! I would love to join in on the fun of the MGM Blogathon. My blog, All Things Kevyn, would like to join in as well. I would like to do a post on the MGM Lion/Logo. Would that be groovy?

    See ya 'round the web. All Things Kevyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be rad, dude. I'm a logo designer myself so I'd like to read your thoughts about it. ( I hope you plan on including the record label version as well....hint, hint ).

      Delete
    2. Great!! Oh and don't you worry about the record label version. It'll be there.

      Delete
  23. Hi, I'd like to write about the 1935 film Reckless with Jean Harlow, William Powell, Franchot Tone,Rosalind Russell and May Robson.... Is it available? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's yours! That's a film we have yet to see, so be "reckless" with your review. ;-)

      Delete
  24. Hi there! Has anyone claimed the 1925 version of Ben Hut yet? Would love to cover that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, somebody has already...but that doesn't mean you can't write about it too. We wanted good coverage of MGM's vast history but we're happy with the selection already, so duplicates can included. Otherwise, nobody has asked to write about Norma Shearer's silent films ( poor Norma always gets overlooked ), Anita Page, Buster Keaton, Bessie Love, The Barrymores, or Joan Crawford's silent films. Just throwing topics out there. :-)

      Delete
  25. I run the silentology.wordpress.com site, by the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! Hmm, in that case, if no one has chosen Keaton's The Cameraman yet that would be a great choice for me.

      Delete
    2. It's all yours Lea. Glad to have you join!

      Delete
  26. Hokay, done!: http://fanboydestroy.com/2014/06/18/random-film-of-the-week-forbidden-planet/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great! I always admire early-birds. We'll get the link up on our Master List as well as on the first day's post. Thank you for joining Greg!

      Delete
  27. Hi! I'd like to write about Singin In The Rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! Do you have a posting date preference? Otherwise I'll put down for the 27th. Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  28. Hello! I have a request. Would like to change my topic and hope you don't mind. I was previously going to write about MGM in the Depression, but am currently making my way through the Warner Archive Dr. Kildare movie collection and thought that would be a bit more fun to discuss. Let me know if the change is OK with you.

    Sorry for the late notice.

    Aurora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Aurora...actually that works out great, we were going to post a series on the history of MGM and decided against it thinking it would repeat what you would be writing about, but now we'll throw it back in. Glad to see that Dr. Kildare is being covered now too!

      Delete
  29. Hey! So sorry to drop the ball on my commitment to this blogathon! Thisngs got seriously away from me, and I'm just now creeping back to the web.

    Again, so sorry!

    ReplyDelete