Monday, February 9, 2015

Announcing The Luck of the Irish Blog o'thon : March 15-17th!

UPDATE: To view a complete list of participants check out the official blogathon post here. 

Top o' the morning film fans! Silver Scenes is proud to present The Luck of the Irish Blog o'thon...a wee little event to celebrate the joy and talent that the Irish have brought to the silver screen for many many years. 

You need not be Irish to participate in this ceilidh because on holy St. Patrick's Day we all be wearing a touch o' the green.....

THE DETAILS:  We not be specific - you can write about almost anything so long as it has a bit o' Irish in it, was filmed prior to 1975, and features no blessed word spoken against the little people. Will you be wanting to write about an Irish-made production? That'll be grand! Will ye be caring to write about an Irish-born actor? We tip our hats to ye! 

Movies that take place in Ireland are surely welcome and you most certainly can write about an American actor with an Irish heritage. We not be turning down any post on Cagney himself. And do not be forgetting the talented Irish men and women who worked behind the magic movie screen as well. 



If ye need some inspiration to get your heart a beatin', here be some suggestions :

Films: The Quiet Man, Return to Glennascaul, Captain Boycott, The Informer, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Parnell, The Molly McGuires, Finian's Rainbow, Little Nellie Kelly, The Girl with Green Eyes, Odd Man Out, The Plough and the Stars, The Shame of Mary Boyle, Top O' the Morning, Gentlemen Jim, I See a Dark Stranger, Irish and Proud of It, Guns in the Heather, Barry Lyndon, Young Cassidy, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, Going My Way, This Other Eden, Shake Hands with the Devil, The Long Gray Line, The Sporting Irish, Peg O' My Heart, The Hills of Ireland, Wings of the Morning, Man of Aran, Mother Machree, The Rose of Kildare, My Wild Irish Rose, Daughter of Rosie O'Grady, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Leave it to the Irish, Gateway, The Story of Seabiscuit, Sally and Saint Anne, The Fighting O'Flynn. 

          __________________________________________________________

Personalities: John Ford, George Murphy, James Cagney, Peter O'Toole, Richard Harris, Maureen O'Hara, John Ford, Barry Fitzgerald, Bing Crosby ( what the hey! ), Dennis Morgan, Stephen Boyd, Arthur Shields, Pat O'Brien, Richard Todd, George Brent, Owen Moore, Charles B. Fitzsimmons, Roy William Neill, James Kilgannon, Sara Allgood, Rex Ingram, Patrick Delany, Una O'Connor, David S. Hall, Brian Donlevy, Niall MacGinnis, Rod Taylor, Alan Young.

          __________________________________________________________

DATE: The Luck of the Irish Blog o'thon runs from March 15th through St. Paddy's Day itself. Ready to join in the jig? Just drop your name, blog site, and the topic you be wanting to write about in the comment box below. 

DEADLINE : Entries will be accepted up until midnight on the 17th of March. If you denno get your entry in by that time, you'll be hearing the wailin' o' the banshee at your backdoor wondering why ye had forgotten her! 



'Tis no good hosting a blogathon without a followin' of fans to participate in it, so we be asking kindly that you post these pretty little Irish banners on those pretty little blogs of your own...with a link back if ye may : 





Thankee for reading this announcement and we hope to see you at the ceilildh! 


50 comments:

  1. I'd love to participate! My first blogothon! I would like to write on Maureen o'Hara, if I may.

    Jan
    Pure Golden
    http://www.puregoldenclassics1951.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first blogathon you say? 'Tis a cause to celebrate to be sure! Maureen O'Hara is yours. Will there be any specific day you be wanting to post this article? We'll squeeze you in on any day if you be not minding. Thankee for joining!

      Delete
    2. Definitely 'tis a cause to celebrate! Any day 'tis fine by me. This'll be grand indeed!

      Jan

      Delete
    3. I do not remember if it was decided or not: what date would you be wanting me to post the article? Thankee kindly!!

      Delete
    4. We apologize for our delay in responding....any time between the 15-17th is fine. This time around we won't be listing the posts by day, they'll all just be grouped together.

      Delete
    5. Sounds wonderful!! I'll be posting on the 17th, then.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Dia, Muire, Pádraig, agus Bríd duit.

    I'll be after bloggin' on PADDY O'DAY (1935) with herself, Jane Withers and a young Rita Hayworth when she was still Rita Cansino, mind. I'll be taking Sunday, March 15th (after Mass). It's proud I am to be posting one of yer most elegant banners on me blog.

    See ye then at Another Old Movie Blog. I'll leave a candle in the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Janie Withers! Ah, to be sure, she's a grand Irish gal....at least in Paddy O'Day. Hoorah to you me dear for choosing a title that we had plum forgotten! Say hello to the preacher for us during Mass. We'll be outside playing paddy-fingers with the holy-water.

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure how the final product will pan out, but I have just got to write something about George Brent, seeing as his birth name was Nolan (as is mine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgie-Porgie is all yours CW! But why stop at just one Nolan? You can cover Jeanette and that lovable leprechaun - Lloyd Nolan - as well. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Gals, you read my mind! As I was washing the dinner dishes last night I started thinking of those very people and how they could be worked in.

      Delete
  4. Please, give me Odd Man Out, 1947, and March 17th as the date.
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the Odd Girl In...it's all yours Le! Thanks for participating. :-)

      Delete
  5. Might I be taking that dashing lad, Dennis Morgan? He be one of me favorites. To be sure this is me first blogothon.

    Phyl

    http://phyllislovesclassicmovies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'd be yours... And thankee for making this your first blogathon! Would there be any special day you'd be wanting to post?

      Delete
    2. The 16th would be a fine day to do it on.

      Delete
  6. How's about "Angels With Dirty Faces"--starring Cagney--on March 16?

    Thanks!

    Andrew

    http://www.thestopbutton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, we'd be glad to have Angels with Dirty Faces and if you can give those angels clean faces that be even grander... Thankee for joining!

      Delete
    2. Hi, my name is Crystal, and my blog is "In The Good Old Days Of Classic Hollywood.




      I would love to participate in the Irish Blogathon. I'm having trouble commenting below under your blog, so I thought I would email.




      I'm wondering if I could do "The Lion In Winter" the 1968 film starring Katharine Hepburn and Peter O'Toole??. A lot of the film was shot in Ireland, and I thought it would be an interesting one to cover.

      Delete
    3. Thank ye for joining Crystal! We got you down for The Lion in Winter. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi, I was thinking to do "The Molly Maguires", it's about Irish immigrants in PA and starring Richard Harris. March 17th would work best for me.
    Thanks.

    Marta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A graaahnd choice! I hope you give a shout out to Henry Mancini for his beautiful score for the film.

      Delete
  8. Love this blog! Please may I write about Maureen O'Sullivan, specifically her roles in Tarzan? (and to post in the 15th?)
    top o'the morning to ya ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen O'Sullivan!! Ach dearie, how did we forget such a winning actress! A grand choice to be sure. Thankee for joining the blog o'thon!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I confess that I didn't know this until I looked into something to blog about for your 'thon...but Buster Keaton was an Irish American! (At least according to this website -- http://irishfest.com/Music-Archives/Exhibits/Irish-American-Hall-of-History/Buster-Keaton.htm) Keaton is a minor god of mine -- may I blog about him?

    http://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By golly, "Keaton" does indeed sound like an Irish name! A great choice and thankee for joining Mr. Bailey!

      Delete
    2. I have posted my blog about Buster Keaton at:
      https://moviemovieblogblog.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/buster-keaton-the-irony-of-the-irish/

      Delete
  11. Hello my name is joey,i run the blog of wolffian classic movies digest,i would love to review The Irish in Us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Irish in Us...such a fitting title! We never heard of it, so that makes your article all the more anticipated. :-) Thank you for joining!

      Delete
  12. Hello gals!! I'd love to take part in this with a look at George M. Cohan as played by Cagney in YANKEE DOODLE DANDY. If that doesn't meet the "Irish" requirement then I'll take GOING MY WAY. Let me know if either of those is OK. :)

    Aurora
    Once Upon a Screen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yankee Doodle Dandy be yours! George M Cohan ("CoHAN") needs to be covered in an Irish blog o'thon to be sure and there be no finer lass to give his story justice than you.

      Delete
  13. I'd love to write about BARRY LYNDON, and put me down for the 17th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry Lyndon be yours by gorra! Thank you for joining!

      Delete
  14. My name is Amanda Garrett and my blog is www.oldhollywoodfilms.com. I would like to do a feature on the screen partnership between James Cagney and Pat O'Brien if that is fine with everyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A super choice! We were hoping someone would write about that dynamic duo. Do you have a preference on which date to post?

      Delete
    2. I'll post mine on the 17th Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

      Delete
  15. Hi, my name is Laura and I've just started a blog over at stars-are-ageless.blogspot.com.au :) Would I be able to review "Finian's Rainbow" (1968)? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would be something sort of grandish! Thank you for participating!

      Delete
  16. Slainte, Silver Scenes! Gary Cahall (of the O'Cahills) from MovieFanFare here. Sure and 'tis behind schedule I am, thanks to a bad dose of bronchitis that left me knackered, but I've got to stop acting the maggot and pull me socks up. Therefore, this son of the auld sod is tossing his tweed cap in the ring with a March 17 review of Juno and the Paycock (aka The Shame of Mary Boyle), based on the Sean O'Casey play and directed by one Alfred O'Hitchcock. Thankee kindly, lasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, tis grand indeed to have you join in the ceilildh, Mr. O'Cahill! And tis even grander that you be selecting a film title we had no even heard of before. After losing your wind, we're hoping your health is improving and you're feeling in right spirits once again.

      Delete
  17. My post on PADDY O'DAY (1935) with Jane Withers is up at Another Old Movie Blog. Thanks, ladies. http://anotheroldmovieblog.blogspot.com/2015/03/paddy-oday-1935.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Take a look at my goofy "cousin", George Brent: http://www.caftanwoman.com/2015/03/the-luck-of-irish-blog-othon-george.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. My post on "Finian's Rainbow" (1968) is up! http://stars-are-ageless.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-luck-of-irish-blog-othon-finians.html Thanks so much for letting me take a part in this wonderful celebration of Irish culture on film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're glad you were you able to join, thank you so much!

      Delete
  20. Just wanted to let you know that I am putting finishing touches on my Maureen O'Hara post, and it will be up before the end of the day. I didn't forget!! ;)

    Thank you,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. My post on Maureen O'Hara is live!! Thank you for letting me be a part of this unique and fun way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day through an Old Hollywood blogathon. http://puregoldenclassics1951.blogspot.com/2015/03/scenes-from-life-of-irish-lass-maureen-o.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. James Cagney (July 17, 1899 March 30, 1986) was an American actor and dancer. On stage and in film, Cagney was known for his consistently lithe performances, distinctive vocal style, and deadpan comic timing. He won commendation and major awards for a broad variety of performances.

    He is remembered for playing multifaceted tough guys in films such as The Public Enemy (1931), Taxi! (1932), Angels behind Dirty Faces (1938), The Roaring Twenties (1939), City for Conquest (1940) and White Heat (1949), finding himself typecast or limited by this reputation earlier in his career.

    Biography of James Cagney
    History of Catherine Deneuve
    Helen Mirren
    Grace Kelly history

    ReplyDelete