Saturday, March 23, 2024

Film Albums: 1963 - The Year's Most Popular Themes


When you have listened to a lot of record albums, it is easy to dismiss an album just by a glance at the songs included. I've heard so many with the same songs (do you know how many versions of the themes to Lawrence of Arabia or Exodus were made?) that sometimes when I see nothing "new", I pass up listening to the album. 

Well, a few days ago, I came across Enoch Light's "1963 - The Year's Most Popular Themes" LP on Youtube and am so glad that I took a chance on it despite the familiarity of all of its selections. This album is a gem! Enoch Light was a sound engineer who produced some amazing albums for Command records, most of them boasting marvelous stereo sound. If you own a console record player, you can really appreciate the quality of the Command records.



As the back of the album states "You haven't really heard movie music until you listen to this fantastic record" - and that's the truth! In addition to the sound quality, the arrangements (by Lew Davies) are different than any I've heard of these popular songs. Robert Maxwell performs a lovely version of "Days of Wine and Roses" on the harp, there is a rousing rendition of "How the West Was Won" and a lilting "Put on a Happy Face" that is sure to put a smile on your face.

Click here to listen to this album on Youtube: Enoch Light Orchestra - ''1963-The Year's Most Popular Themes''


Track Listing


Side One:

How the West Was Won

Anthony and Cleopatra

Put on a Happy Face

More (Theme from "Mondo Cane")

Lawrence of Arabia

Speak Not a Word


Side Two: 

Hud 

Theme from "Mutiny on the Bounty"

Days of Wine and Roses

So Little Time - The 55 Days at Peking Theme 

Spencer's Mountain

I Could Go on Singing


Top Music Picks: How the West Was Won, More, Days of Wine and Roses, Spencer's Mountain

2 comments:

  1. I have a number of similar albums by random groups, and they're lots of fun to listen to on my little turntable, but this one definitely sounds extra-unique!

    BTW, I nominated you for a Sunshine Award. Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I hope you enjoy the album if you get a chance to hear it through! And thanks for the nom, I'll check out the questions and take part. :-)

      Delete