Thursday, March 21, 2019

From the Archives: Night Without Stars ( 1951 )

David Farrar and Nadia Gray are pictured in this dramatic publicity photo from the British thriller Night Without Stars released in 1951. This engaging picture tells the story of a blind man who regains his sight but decides to carry on a little charade while unmasking a smuggling ring in the Riviera. Winston Graham, who is best known for "Poldark", his series of historical novels, also penned this story. 

From the Archives is our latest series of posts where we share photos from the Silverbanks Pictures collection. Some of these may have been sold in the past, and others may still be available for purchase at our eBay store : http://stores.ebay.com/Silverbanks-Pictures

8 comments:

  1. David Farrar was a fine and versatile actor. I have always felt he would have been a far better Max de Winter than Olivier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very interesting casting choice, but I agree, he would have been excellent! I think Farrar was much more expressive than most critics gave him credit for. He gave an especially powerful performance in "The Small Back Room"( 1949 ).

      Delete
    2. He was mesmerising in: 'The Small Back Room' - and superb in: 'Black Narcissus' (1947), which is anyway one of Powell's and Pressburger's masterpieces (the other being: 'The Red Shoes' (1948).

      Delete
  2. Winston Graham wrote a lot of great books. In addition to the POLDARK series (of which the first seven books are excellent), he wrote MARNIE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Rick. Looks like I'll have to add his books to my reading list - Marnie is one of my favorite films.

      Delete
  3. I just want to let you know that I put a post on the DOWN ARGENTINE WAY page on MARCH 14. I would appreciate it if you would read it and leave a comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete